A Redpaper: I’m published!

At last, I was involved in writing a document for IBM that has my name on it! I’ve been the person responsible for writing and releasing the IBM Tivoli Identity Manager Tuning Guides for many years now, but since they are really a roll-up of information from a variety of sources, including myself, none of them have any names on them.

Over the past several months I’ve been involved in writing, contributing, and proofing a Redpaper titled Performance Tuning for IBM Tivoli Directory Server. The document came about as a ‘meeting of the minds’ of several IBMers who work with ITDS on a daily basis. My main contributions are sections 6.5 through 6.9 and the corresponding scripts referenced therein. These are the same scripts that we’ve been releasing with the ITIM tuning guides for quite some time now but were seen as useful enough to reach a broader audience. In addition, section 2.4 (and subsections) were based on some early versions of my scripts that were later enhanced by other IBMers. The other authors had no idea until our first meeting that the 2.4 scripts were initially created by me :)

The Abstract of the paper was taken straight from the original introduction which I wrote most of. What I find particularly funny is that the current text is a rewrite of an early draft from the other contributors. After trying to make sense of it during the first review, I threw my hands up in the air and rewrote the whole thing. While I am far from a good writer, I am apparently better than any of the other contributors (likely due to hanging out with mbock, jonobie, and quindo who aren’t allowed to find errors in the doc now that it has been published :).
Abstract behind the cut