When I mentioned to Mom that I was making this dish tonight, she asked for the recipe. Instead of typing it up for just her, you get to share in the goodness.
Chili con Carne
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 lb stew meat
- 1 lg onion, sliced
- 2-4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tbsp flour
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 14oz canned tomatoes
- 1-2 tbsp sweet chile sauce
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 15oz canned red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1-2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- salt and pepper
Note: This recipe takes 3 hours to cook so wait until a cool day when heating up the house isn’t going to be an issue. I make a double batch and share the goodness around!
- Heat oil in oven-safe pan on stove-top. Cook beef until well seared. Remove the beef from the pan.
- Add onion and garlic to the pan and cook for 1-2 minutes. Stir in tomato juice and tomatoes and bring to boil. Return beef and add chili sauce, ground cumin, and salt and pepper to taste. Cover and place in preheated 325 degree oven for 1.5 hours or until beef is almost tender.
- Stir in the beans, oregano, and parsley and adjust seasoning. Cover and return to oven for 45 minutes.
- Serve with rice.
From Cook’s Library Low Fat cookbook, p64 (which was given to me by Renee, Robert, Wally, and Darrel as a housewarming gift waaay back in 2003!).